Chalk Talk Climbing Podcast
About This Show
Chalk Talk is a climbing industry podcast. A place to find interesting and enlightening discussions with professionals in the rock climbing industry. In depth conversations with route setters, coaches, professional climbers, gym managers/owners and much more. Chalk Talk is the place to find inspiration and contemplation on the future of the climbing world and where to take your climbing to the next level.
Most Recent Episode
Ep.62 w/ Eddie Fowke | The Circuit Climbing and Performance Magazine
3 days ago
On photographing for the IFSC competitions, living life on the road for over a year, and, of course, the future of climbing in the Olympics….
**This episode is sponsored by Joshua Tree Skin Care, Power Company Climbing, and Gnarly Nutrition. Support this podcast by entering “chalktalk” at checkout for up to 20% off you next order!**
Listen on the player at the top of the page or find us on itunes!
Show Notes for episode with Eddie Fowke:
* Accidentally photographing IFSC Collegiate World Championships (0:01)
* Creating and fostering good relationships with athletes and coaches while on the road and how that plays into his philosophies on photography (1:57)
* How Eddie began shooting photos for climbing competitions which led him to create The Circuit Climbing and Performance Magazine (7:29)
* Jumping on board with his friend, and world cup climber, James Kassay to take photos at some IFSC events in Europe for the first time and how he managed to make it happen (14:19)
* How climbers like Mina Marcovic and the stories he discovered about the Slovenian Team helped him decide to start The Circuit Climbing and Performance Magazine (15:49)
* How Eddie taught himself to write, edit, produce, print, sell, and distribute a magazine by himself… and the inspiration for learning all this is not what you think (20:09)
* What finally convinced him to quit his job and pursue The Circuit full-time, and dealing with the words of caution and criticism from his friends and family (24:22)
* Dealing with the highs and lows of starting his magazine, and when it gets low, “it gets brutally low” (26:52)
* The battle for advertising in the climbing industry between print and digital media (30:16)
* The success of the first issue of The Circuit and progression moving forward (35:26)
* Why it’s important to secure the legacy and history of these athletes and events (42:05)
* The new re-design of The Circuit’s website and what more it can bring to climbin