Permission to Speak - Leadership & Management Podcast
About This Show
The interviews in this video blog loiter roughly at the intersection of ideas about…
Leaders wanting their people to be honest and speak up about how to innovate, improve their organization and better serve their customers...
Technology that naturally facilitates connections and communications between individuals and groups...
Results that serve the higher purpose of an organization while taking into account the way humans work, learn, react and grow.
While loitering and talking about ideas, we also want to have a little fun, share practical advice, and keep it lively so as not bore anyone, especially ourselves!
This podcast is ideal for managers and leaders who want to improve their skills and get better results for their organizational and personal success!
Most Recent Episode
Episode #34 - Dr. Joe Garcia - Permission to Speak - Leadership Podcast - Interview with Kelly Vandever
Permission to Speak Podcast. Hosted by Leadership Communications Expert Kelly Vandever. Episode #34 - Dr. Joe Garcia. Permission to Speak is the video blog and podcast that loiters at the intersections of leaders who want their people to speak up, technology that facilitates connections, and results that serve an organization’s higher purpose. Topics covered in this episode include: - Industrial / Organizational Psychology
- Impact of employee engagement on key business metrics like customer service and sales
- Research within Home Depot comparing top stores and poorly performing stores
- Wanted to also measure how much of impact there is from employee engagement
- Stores higher in engagement had 8% lower rate of turnover
- Gallup’s 12 Questions
- Factors that impact employee engagement: being emotionally connected, give the right level of discretionary effort, alignment of personal and company values, treatment received from peers and leaders, do you like the people you work with, do I feel capable, supportive feedback that helps you do better, your boss has your back and your best interest in mind
- How do you make employee engagement important to leaders: Get the leaders to buy into the fact that employee engagement will help them look better and get better results, that they would gain rewards and benefits from a better performing organization. Once convinced, show them how to do it, show them how to drive better levels of engagement. Teach and maintain the behavior until it becomes a habit.
- Create metrics to measure the leader’s success around engagement
- In addition to the leadership component, you also must hire the right people
- Increase your ability to bring people into the organization who will align with the organization and who will connect with what we do and what we’re all about
- It’s a combination of good leaders and the right people who will welcome and appreciate what you have to offer as a company
- Diversity and inclusion
- Doing the right thing when it comes to diversity versus the better results we get when we have diversity in the workplace
- Diversity of everything including diversity of thought
- Having the lens of someone with a different perspective helps a business better serve their different customers
- Diversity isn’t only about helping society, it’s about helping you be stronger and more competitive as a business
- The one thing that leaders don’t do well is develop their people