Permission to Speak
About This Show
The interviews in this video blog loiter roughly at the intersection of ideas about…
Leaders wanting their people to be honest and speak up about how to innovate, improve their organization and better serve their customers...
Technology that naturally facilitates connections and communications between individuals and groups...
Results that serve the higher purpose of an organization while taking into account the way humans work, learn, react and grow.
While loitering and talking about ideas, we also want to have a little fun, share practical advice, and keep it lively so as not bore anyone, especially ourselves!
This podcast is ideal for managers and leaders who want to improve their skills and get better results for their organizational and personal success!
Most Recent Episode
Episode #24 - Elaine Knight - Permission to Speak - Leadership Podcast - Interview with Kelly Vandever
Permission to Speak Podcast. Hosted by Leadership Communications Expert Kelly Vandever. Episode #24 - Elaine Knight. Permission to Speak is the video blog and podcast that loiters at the intersections of leaders who want their people to speak up, technology that facilitates connections, and results that serve an organization’s higher purpose. Topics covered in this episode include:
- Target’s culture of recognition
- Differences between company cultures
- Treating employees like a robot
- CareerLeader Assessment
- Importance of the boss to be a calm voice of reason in a sea of constant change
- People aren’t just motivated by a pay check and fear of losing their job
- Need to understand what interests employees, understand about their families, what motivates them
- Elaine’s LinkedIn article “3 Tools Every Successful Manager Uses.”
- Strategic vulnerability for managers
- Brene Brown’s TED Talk on the Power of Vulnerability
- Be more of a human being instead of just being another supervisor or manager
- Seeking to understand others
- Elaine’s capstone project where she involved key influencers and the put together a productivity task for who recognized short term wins and produced unprecedented results
- People want to succeed for themselves, their families, and their managers
- Gallup research on employee engagement
- Elaine’s LinkedIn article “3 Ways to Outperform the Competition by 202%”
- Basic management skills business owners need to have include checking in with employees regularly, making sure they clearly know what’s expected of them, help translate the company strategy into actionable items that they understand and can do.
- Hire slowly, do your due diligence upfront
- The first 90 days (or maybe longer) an employee comes on board, they’re going to do nothing but take up your time and resources. You’ve got to take the time to train them properly, they’re really more of a project, you have to invest in them. The more you invest in your people, the more it will come back to you.
- The human spirit and in a sense how predictable human behavior is… if you invest and show the employee that you care and want to help them reach their full potential then people are going to respond in kind
- Being really good at your job doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be the best leader, but leadership skills can be learned
- People are amazing
- Pew Research Center
- If you want to double your profits and