Beyond Devices Podcast
About This Show
The Beyond Devices podcast is brought to you by Jan Dawson and Aaron Miller. Jan is the author of the Beyond Devices blog, as well as the owner and Chief Analyst at Jackdaw Research, a research and advisory firm focused on the consumer electronics market. Aaron is a business school professor, but in a past life ran one of the most popular iMovie blogs and co-authored several books in the iMovie: the Missing Manual series with David Pogue, and remains an avid follower of all things Apple.
Jan can be found on Twitter at @jandawson, while Aaron is @aaronmiller. We welcome your feedback on any of our episodes or the podcast in general.
Most Recent Episode
Week 103 – NR – Netflix Earnings, Lyft Self-Driving System, Google Glass, Twitter Abuse
2 days ago
Here's our News Roundup episode for the week, with a deeper dive on a few of the big news items from the past few days. We kick off earnings season with a discussion of Netflix earnings and what if anything it has to worry about in future. Secondly, we discuss Lyft's announcement that it's working on a self-driving system, as a complement to recent announcements on working with partners on this area. Third, we talk about the rebirth of Google Glass as an enterprise and industrial product, and the broader implications for related products like Microsoft's HoloLens and AR headsets in general. We wrap things up with a discussion of abuse and harassment on Twitter, which continues to be a problem despite the progress the company touted this week.
As usual, the show notes below include links to all these stories on Tech Narratives.
News stories we covered:
• Netflix Earnings (Jan's take on Tech Narratives – a free post):
• Lyft Self-Driving System:
2. Jan's take:
• Google Glass:
1. Wired deep dive: https://www.wired.com/story/google-glass-2-is-here/
2. Jan's take: https://www.technarratives.com/2017/07/18/google-glass-relaunched-as-enterprise-and-industrial-product/
• Twitter Abuse
1. BuzzFeed article: https://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/twitter-is-still-dismissing-harassment-reports-and
2. Twitter blog post: https://blog.twitter.com/official/en_us/topics/product/2017/Our-Safety-Work-Results-Update.html
3. Verge article: https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/20/16000834/twitter-anti-abuse-tools-data-update
4. Jan's take: https://www.technarratives.com/2017/07/20/twitter-provides-data-on-abuse-efforts-fails-to-address-inconsistent-application/
You can also find the Beyond Devices Podcast on iTunes (itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/beyon…ast/id1002197313), in the Overcast app (overcast.fm/itunes1002197313/be…odcast/id1002197313), or in your podcast app of choice.
As ever, we welcome your feedback via Twitter (@jandawson / @aaronmiller), the website (podcast.beyonddevic.es), or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Episodes of This Show
3 days ago