Highly Relevant with Jack Rico
About This Show
Join Jack Rico, ShowBizCafe’s founder and editor-in-chief, as well as entertainment analyst for TODAY, for a weekly Hispanic-American podcast breaking down the week's most highly relevant stories in the mainstream and Latino entertainment scene. From movies, music, television, books, politics and media, ‘Highly Relevant with Jack Rico’ offers engaging in-depth interviews, reviews and personal recommendations on everything currently shaping our tastes and opinions of today’s America. This is a podcast for people who live a bicultural and bilingual lifestyle and who love to have their finger on the pulse of American and Latino pop culture.
Most Recent Episode
Episode 30 - Univision's 'El Chapo,' ViceLand's Panama 'Jungletown,' Reviews of 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' & Broadway's 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'
Thank you for downloading episode 30 of the Highly Relevant podcast. On this week’s episode, we talk with the creator of the most anticipated show in Spanish language TV right now, Univision’s EL CHAPO. We get to the moral and ethical controversies of getting the show done, the fascination of cartel tv shows and if actors Kate del Castillo and Sean Penn will be making cameos. Also urban millennial network VICELAND has a new show called JUNGLETOWN that takes place in Panama. Why are they there and why should we care? I talk to Jimmy Stice, the man behind it all. That, plus highlights of The Premios Billboard, reviews of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Broadway’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Univision's Silvana Aguirre, creator of 'EL CHAPO' :57
- Who approached her about creating the series El Chapo?
- How she got actors to commit to the show given their moral dilemmas.
- What factors convinced her that Marco de la O could play El Chapo?
- Why viewers are fascinated with drug cartel villains
- Will Kate del Castillo and Sean Penn be involved in the show in any way?
- Why Latinos aren’t being considered to direct Hollywood's Chapo movies?
Jimmy Stice, Viceland's 'Jungletown' in Panama 20:33
- The basis for creating Jungletown?
- Why South America’s Panama?
- Are Latinos involved in the series ?
- Was the Panamanian government aware of the filming and what was the reaction from them?
- What are the serious issues addressed in the series?
- Why he thinks the way he does about the environment
Review of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 - 31:24
What I'm listening to this week - 32:20
- That's What I Like - Bruno Mars
- Shape Of You - Ed Sheeran
- Humble - Kendrick Lamar
Review of Broadway's Musical 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' 33:02
You'd like to give us your feedback or get a shout-out? Email us at email@example.com and help us spread the word on social media. If you enjoyed this episode head on over to iTunes and kindly leave us a rating, a review and please subscribe.