The Isaac Morehouse Podcast: A Weekly Exploration of Education, Entrepreneurship, Big Ideas, and Freedom. Guests from Startups, Business, Music, Art, Economics, Education, and a Wide Range of Professions on How to Live Free.
About This Show
Podcast by Isaac Morehouse: Education Entrepreneur, Author, CEO of Praxis. Guests like Penelope Trunk, Bryan Caplan, Thaddeus Russell, Michael Malice, Jeffrey Tucker, Blake Boles, Jerry Brito, TK Coleman, and more!
Most Recent Episode
108 - Implementer or Visionary (or why accountants can do cool stuff too!) with Derek Carter
4 days ago
Derek Carter was racing along the path to partnership at a large accounting firm. He had graduated college with an accounting degree and spent years busting his ass, taking on more responsibility and leading at a large regional firm. He was managing people and working with autonomy in a large organization.
But his former colleague Levi Morehouse kept trying to sell him on leaving. They had worked together before Levi left to start Ceterus and had been pushing for Derek to join ever since. Eventually, Derek decided to make the leap into the startup world.
He’s now the COO of Ceterus, one of the most innovative and fastest growing accounting startups in the country.
Derek shares his backstory, from how he chose to pursue accounting, to deciding to leave his good job at a big firm to join a startup.
Derek is an outstanding example of an implementer joining with a visionary to make big things happen. If you’re working in a traditional role and excited by the possibility of working with a startup, there's a ton of wisdom for you in this episode.
Covered in this episode:
- Leaning competitiveness from baseball
- Deciding to pursue an accounting degree
- What made Northwood University great
- What are the common characteristics of accountants
- Why public accountants need to learn how to sell to continuing progressing in their careers
- Derek’s experience starting at a large public accounting firm
- The disconnect between auditing classes in college and auditing reality
- How did Derek decide to join Ceterus
- Making the switch from a large established company to a startup
- What does Derek look for when hiring for Ceterus
- Making the decision to seek and eventually take on outside investment
- Advice for implementors who want to work in cool fields, but don’t want to be visionaries
- Opportunities at Ceterus
Show notes and links to all books, articles, and resources mentioned are available at isaacmorehouse.com
If you are a fan of the show, make sure to leave a review on iTunes.
All episodes of the Isaac Morehouse Podcast are available on SoundCloud, iTunes, Google Play, and Stitcher