Global Medical Device Podcast powered by greenlight.guru
About This Show
The Global Medical Device Podcast powered by greenlight.guru is where today's brightest minds in the medical device industry go to get their most useful and actionable insider knowledge, direct from some of the world's leading medical device experts and companies.
Most Recent Episode
Using the Bucket Method for Medical Device Risk Management w/ Mike Drues
1 day ago
Risk management: It’s a topic that needs to be navigated carefully by medical device companies.
It’s been gaining a lot of traction in the industry, because some recent standards have focused on risk management.
Today’s guest has seen companies take their risk management plan directly from their design controls and paste them into their regulatory submission forms. This is not a correct way to approach risk management, because it gives an incomplete picture.
Mike Drues, the president of Vascular Sciences, has been a frequent guest on our show.
Not only do we listen to him, but the FDA and Health Canada do, too, because Mike works with these regulatory agencies in addition to working with medical device companies.
Today we’re talking about risk management. Mike has a three (plus one bonus) bucket approach to dealing with this important topic.
Some of the ideas that we discuss today include:
● Mike’s systematic approach to risk management: three “buckets” he uses when developing his plans.
● How to measure, track and present the probability of harm of not using the device.
● Mike’s thoughts on using FMEA as a tool.
● The problem with equating misuse as off-label use, and what the difference is.
● Mike’s solution for facing the problem of liability pertaining to off-label use of a device.
● Why it’s important not to become a slave to whatever tool(s) your company is using when dealing with risk management.
Rated 5 out of
Very educational and fun
Pretty unique and intriguing insights into the medical device industry from some great guests. Surprised by how actionable and helpful many of the tips and pointers are.
Date published: 2015-09-11