The Migrant Crisis Podcast
About This Show
A weekly podcast on all things related to the Migrant Crisis. With journalists Mike Meehall Wood, Sophie Pornschlegel, and Frey Lindsay.
Most Recent Episode
Episode 25: There is nothing, only death.
Welcome to the Migrant Crisis Podcast, an attempt to turn totally uninformed opinions into just mostly uninformed opinions.
On this episode, alternatively titled "Episode 25: Better late than never?";
- Mike Meehall Wood and Frey Lindsay discuss the plan of Tory MP David Davies, who wants to check refugee children's teeth to make sure they're not lying about their age (there's an image...). They also talk about Nauru, and how you literally can't bribe refugees to stop trying for asylum.
- The attack on Mosul is rolling on, and given our remit we don't yet have much to say about it. So a moment of reflection on what's to come.
- Hurricane Matthew ravaged Haiti some weeks ago, devastating a coutry still recovering from the 2010 earthquake. Natalia Fricker, emergency communications officer for ActionAid, spoke to us about what she saw in the country, and the efforts to hold things together. Pay attention to the gender issues towards the end. Chaos and disaster very often have the secondary effect of increased violence against women, it's one of the most disturbing undercurrents of humanitarian issues, and deserves more attention.
- Let's take it back to Syria for our final feature. The Syrian Civil Defence are a group of extraordinarily brave rescue workers who are doing the best they can with what they have, which is not much, to protect their fellow Syrians. We had the pleasure of attending a talk with a member of the organisation commonly known as the “White Hats”, and hear about his life and work in Aleppo.*
- And finally, our Skateboardings Otter this week are a touching story of football solidarity, and the Trump Cobra Effect.
Go tell David Davies MP what you'd like to do to his teeth;
Give ActionAid some money to help with Haiti relief;
Stop watching the election, you're not American. Keep up to date with the Mosul offensive instead;
Thank you to Natalia Fricker and Nadene Robertson at Action Aid, Ibrahim and the rest of the White Hats, and thanks once again to Abdalaziz Alhamza from Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently.
The Migrant Crisis Podcast will be back in a few weeks.
* That's a city in Syria, if you're a libertarian.