The Elite HRV Podcast: Heart Rate Variability, Biohacking Health & Performance, Quantified Self
About This Show
Uncommon methods for maximizing health and performance with an emphasis on real-world implementation of Heart Rate Variability and other biomarkers.
From biohacking to quantified self, world class doctors, coaches and athletes cover the latest research (from the lab and field), and the methods and "tricks" that get the best results.
Right out of the gate you can expect the President of the American Functional Medicine Association, leading HRV researchers, elite and Olympic-level sport scientists, metabolism hackers, data scientists, rehabilitation specialists, and more.
Follow the show on Twitter: @elitehrv.
Most Recent Episode
The Data Science Behind HRV w/Dr. Marco Altini
Data analysis and statistics can be confusing or time consuming - especially HRV, health, or performance data.
Dr. Marco Altini joins us to share some of the nitty gritty of how Data Science plays a role in Heart Rate Variability analysis and other types of quantifiable research and self experimentation.
Marco is the lead data scientist at Bloom which is a pregnancy wearable technology company and he is the founder of HRV4Training - more details on his extensive background in wearable tech in the episode.
-- topics listed below
HRV Educational Resources: https://hrvcourse.com/ep-8
Leave a quick review: https://elitehrv.com/review-ep-8
(Thanks in advance!)
* 6:55 - About Marco Altini
* 9:40 - How to increase confidence in your data for decision making
* 12:20 - Confidently estimating for Individuals vs Populations
* 14:30 - The difference in confidence between 3 morning HRV readings in a week vs 7 HRV readings in a week
* 16:30 - Coefficient of Variation
* 18:20 - The pros/cons of measuring HRV over months vs over weeks
* 18:55 - Continuous feedback loops: How to make better decisions
* 20:20 - How to capture acute changes in Heart Rate Variability
* 21:01 - What is cross sectional data? Observational research & establishing causal links
* 22:56 - What to do with “Longitudinal data" from multiple points in time
* 24:46 - How to take cross sections and longitudinal measurements of HRV
* 25:52 - The problem with “causality”. Increasing confidence, using Interventions vs Observations effectively
* 27:22 - The fallacy of Heart Rate Variability snapshots and the power of new HRV technology
* 29:53 - How bad it can be to take 1-2 data points with HRV readings
* 31:22 - What is regression analysis and how do we use it with Heart Rate Variability?
* 32:46 - Predicting HRV values for a person based on certain characteristics (age, gender, bodyweight, genetics)
* 34:06 - Absolute HRV vs relative HRV changes
* 35:36 - Is your HRV score good or bad?
* 37:41 - Which variables affect HRV the most? A systematic look at exercise, sleep, alcohol, and other factors.
* 41:21 - Why HRV responds differently to the same training by different individuals.
* 42:46 - Quick and dirty Heart Rate Variability readings. How wrist-based HRV measurements stack up.
* 46:06 - The accuracy of various HRV hardware
* 48:46 - The price of admission for measuring HRV. The cost of a good heart rate monitor.
* 49:55 - Why focus on RMSSD and Time Domain HRV values instead of Freq