New Frontiers in Functional Medicine
About This Show
Welcome to New Frontiers in Functional Medicine™. Each month, I interview the best minds in Functional Medicine. Expect thought provoking ideas, new research, lots of clinical pearls for practitioners and step-change information for consumers and patients. I hope you join us. Don’t hesitate to email me with ideas for future podcasts.
Most Recent Episode
Episode 19: Functional Gynecology Practice Pearls with Dr. Anna Cabeca
Dr. Cabeca is a wealth of information and inspiration when it comes to women’s health. I am delighted to share my conversation with her this month, in which you’ll learn about:
- How Dr. Cabeca transitioned from performing multiple surgeries per week, to only needing to recommend a handful per year with a functional medicine approach
- The best lab tests and specimens for hormone assessment
- The importance of liquid chromatography mass spectrometry for serum free testosterone measures
- Factors to be aware of that can confound hormone testing results
- Estrogen metabolites and the importance of methylation assessment
- The sweet spot of keto-alkaline status for sex hormone balance, cortisol management, mental clarity, insulin sensitivity and weight loss (target pH of 7, and some ketones 3+ days per week)
- The benefits of vaginal testosterone and DHEA for tissue repair and incontinence
- Watching out for behavior change with testosterone to ensure appropriate dosing and saving marriages!
- Addressing vaginal dryness with safe oils and DHEA, diet and lifestyle