Digital Sport podcast with Dan McLaren
About This Show
The Digital Sport podcast is a twice-weekly show by DigitalSport.co founder, Daniel McLaren. He sits down to chat 1-2-1 with some of the most interesting and inspiring people in the sports/tech industry. Finding out what they are passionate about, their career journey, the highs (and lows) and what they're working on now. Make sure you subscribe!
Most Recent Episode
52: Alex Fenton, Lecturer in Digital Business at Salford University
4 days ago
Alex graduated from the University of Bradford with a BSc in Electronic Imaging and Media Communications in 1997 and has a Masters with Distinction in Creative Technology.
He has worked in various web development and teaching roles ever since. Today he is lecturer in Digital business for Salford Business School and runs a digital media and web development company called EDinteractive.
Alex has won a number of team and individual awards recently including, A European Search Award, two Vice Chancellors Teaching awards, Postgraduate supervisor of the Year (2015) and Innovative lecturer of the year (2016) and is a travel writer and photographer for a VW magazine.
In this conversation we covered a qide range of subjects, especially around the subject of his PhD in digital marketing, football and social media. A subject he also blogs about on his site alexfenton.co.uk
- Why it's important for clubs to have a wide fan base on social media (it might not be all about the numbers, but they are still important).
- The key skills needed in digital focussed roles today and the importance of having a working knowledge of Adobe products and html.
- Is there a skills gap between what employers are after and what people actually have. Are they 'unicorns' or do they actually exist?
- Importance of the work experience students at Salford have available to them at clubs such as Salford City where they film games and run the social media.
- The difficulties in finding time when working at clubs to take a step back to see what technologies are out there and how universities can help with this.
- The future of digital in sport, with social media, VR and eSports at the forefront of it.
- Hashtag United and how they are blurring the lines between the real and virtual worlds.
- How he uses tools such as Slack, Trello, Mvivo and social listening software in his day-to-day role.
+ much more.
I hope you enjoy this episode. You can find Alex on AlexFenton.co.uk and @AlexFenton.
If you enjoy this then do have a listen to previous interviews and leave us a rating/review. You can send any feedback or suggest future guests to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or @DanielMclaren