Digital Sport podcast with Dan McLaren
About This Show
The Digital Sport podcast is a twice-weekly show by DigitalSport.co founder, Daniel McLaren. He sits down to chat 1-2-1 with some of the most interesting and inspiring people in the sports/tech industry. Finding out what they are passionate about, their career journey, the highs (and lows) and what they're working on now. Make sure you subscribe!
Most Recent Episode
31: Sam Seddon, IBM Client Executive for Wimbledon and RFU
2 days ago
Sam has responsibility for managing the end to end delivery of the technical solutions that IBM provides to The Championships as part of their role as the official IT provider to the AELTC. He also has responsibility for the award winning IBM marketing and innovation programme for the partnership with Wimbledon. He is also responsible for managing the IBM sports rights relationship with the RFU where IBM are the Official Analytic Partner.
We sat down in the offices at Wimbledon, my second visit in a few months after never having been before. In our chat we covered;
- His role at IBM and how it translates to what happens at The Championships
- How the partnership has evolved since it began back in 1990
- The use of AI through 'Watson' and how they covered 4.4m data points in 2016
- What the possibilities are for cognitive learning within sport are going forward
- The difficulties we face in the UK around building intelligent stadiums and issues with wifi in old stadiums
- Why fans if they are at a sporting event should watch the sport and be less worried about wifi and using their phone
- His career progression and how he landed his current role
- Why he decided against his childhood dream job of being a dentist!
To follow Sam on social media you can find him on LinkedIn and Twitter (@Sam_Seddon)