Big Man in the Woods
About This Show
Big Man in the woods a.k.a Mark, loves being in the woods, whether its camping, trying out new pieces of gear or just escaping from the wife for a few hours.
Big Man in the Woods will tell you what he gets up to, with interviews from experts in the field of camping, survival and bushcraft and many more others bits and pieces.
A new feature to the podcast is music from unsigned bands or artist.
Most Recent Episode
Episode #25 The Silent Killer Carbon Monoxide
Nov 21 16
One of my favourite times of the year to take my scouts camping is in the autumn, nice and crisp mornings and cozy and relaxing around the warm campfire in the cold evenings is just magical,
On a recent autumn camp, even though I spent the previous few weeks telling the scouts to wrap up warm in the evenings, bring a nice warm jumper, hat, scarf etc and explaining that we loose heat though our head and a hat is a must at night time, some scouts still forgot warm clothes at night time.
The next morning i asked the scouts if they slept well and warm during the night, a few muttered that they was quite cold during the night. I suggested that they wrapped up warm at night & wear a hat during the night. 1 scout suggested heating in the tent, so I questioned this scout on what heating he would suggest. After some “heated” debate on the subject, 1 scout came up with the idea of a mini heater, he had recently read about a sad story which involved a family, the children of this particular family sadly lost their life’s were scouts.
We got onto the subject of “ the silent killer” Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
I remembered a post I read and it suggested that thousands of campers even though they are aware of the silent killer still bring into their tents lit barbecues, this could be due to the unpredictable weather whilst camping or re using the BBQ after they have cooked their dinner to warm up their tent. Even when the BBQ’s are extinguished and even heaters, they can still emit deadly carbon monoxide.
On a recent survey conducted by corgi, 1 in 5 campers confessed to bringing in their BBQ into their tent or porch and carried on cooking, and 23% of those surveyed admitted they used a BBQ, kerosene heater, patio heater, lit BBQ or gas stove inside their tent to keep warm during the cold nights.
Sadly 2 thirds of these people – 63% was unaware that CO still continues to be admitted even if a BBQ has been extinguished.
There is no other way to say this but “DO NOT BRING THEM INSIDE” It’s that simple!
List of recent UK camping tragedies involving carbon monoxide:
● In summer 2013, Bethan O’Brien, 20, died from CO poisoning while camping in Devon after a stove was left burning inside her tent.
● In May 2012, 14-year-old Hannah Thomas-Jones died at a campsite in Bucknell, Shropshire, when a portable barbecue was placed in the porch of her tent. Fumes from the barbecue had blown from the porch area to the sleeping compartments.