The Amiel Show
About This Show
The Amiel Show provides people who are hungry to grow as leaders and human beings with cutting-edge conversations about leadership. What’s the one skill or quality you can improve that will build your public identity as a competent and trusted leader? What does it take to manage your commitments to yourself and others so that you produce better results with less stress? How can brain science inform how you develop people and organizations? What becomes possible when you reframe organizational politics as the practice of understanding and aligning with others’ interests and concerns? How can you make your conversations and meetings more powerful and impactful? Join Amiel Handelsman, executive coach and author of Practice Greatness, as he explores these questions with thoughtful executives and pragmatic thought leaders. For all past episodes, visit www.amielhandelsman.com.
Most Recent Episode
Episode 64: Overcoming Immunity To Change With Deborah Helsing [The Amiel Show] - The Amiel Show
This week on the podcast, I welcome back Deborah Helsing to discuss Immunity to Change: what it is, why it matters for leaders and organizations, and how to overcome it.
Deb teaches at Harvard and heads up Coach Learning Programs for Minds at Work, the company created by Bob Kegan and Lisa Lahey, who coauthored Immunity to Change.
Deb and I previously spoke about deliberately developmental organizations.
This time, we met at her office in Cambridge, to explore why every time we try to change, we look down and discover our foot is on the brakes. Yikes! And, more importantly, how to use our understanding of this messy situation to our advantage!
* 12:00 Seeing the brilliant way your psychological immune system operates
* 18:00 Hidden or competing commitments, the brakes on change
* 22:30 Feeling the pit of your stomach is a very good sign
* 35:00 Some people felt tricked by flipping complaints into commitments
* 40:00 Designing safe experiments to test your untested assumption
* 46:30 Which developmental stages benefit from this approach?
* 49:30 How Immunity to Change approach nurtures developmental change
Listen to the Podcast
Download l Listen in new window
Explore Additional Resources
* Minds at Work, which offers workshops about Immunity to Change
* Immunity to Change: How To Overcome It And Unlock The Potential In Yourself And Your Organization by Robert Kegan and Lisa Lahey
New to Podcasts?
Get started here
Subscribe to the Show on iTunes (It’s Easy!)
* Sign into iTunes using your ID and password
* Search the iTunes store for “Amiel Show”
* If you get a screen without a Subscribe button (a screen that looks like this), click on